Mega-Catch™ Mosquito Traps should be used in conjunction with other sensible control measures designed to manage mosquito problems. DIY mosquito control should include the following precautions:
- Eliminate standing water in low spots, ditches, gutters and similar areas
- Empty receptacles that collect water (eg bird baths and pot plant saucers)
- Reduce breeding sites by keeping grass mown
- Mosquito netting/screens can be used to provide mosquito-free areas
- Light coloured clothing is less attractive to some mosquito species and if tightly woven, can give some protection against biting
- DEET is considered the most effective mosquito repellent, but should not be used too heavily or on infants under 2 months. An alternative repellent Picaridin by Bayer, is an odorless and colorless repellent and has been recommended by the World Health Organization for use in Malaria stricken countries.